blonde_bun_runner

blonde_bun_runner
"Head up, wings out"--Oiselle

Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Training Update-1/2 way through!


I can't believe I'm already half way done with marathon training for my upcoming race in November, The Monumental Marathon in Indy. When I purchased and read the Hanson's Marathon Method book, I'm not going to lie, I was a little intimidated. The high mile weeks, intense speed workouts, and the whole idea of cumulative fatigue was so different from how I trained for my previous marathons. I figured that I've been a runner for 14 years now and had a great base going into training. I had already completed 2 full marathons and an ultra marathon, so I was willing to give this training plan a try. I'm so glad I took this leap, because I've never felt so strong physically and mentally as I do now.




It's no secret that my goal with this marathon is to Boston Qualify(BQ) I'm well aware that in order to qualify for my age, I need to run a 3:35 or better marathon...or an 8:12/mile pace for 26.2 miles. I knew that in order to make that happen, I would need my ass kicked into shape. I can honestly say half way through the advanced training plan, I have got my ass kicked...but in a great way.  Even though I'm not a "newbie" marathoner anymore, I have still learned a few new things about myself everyday I'm out there running.


1. I've learned that I can run A LOT longer and faster than I had ever imagined before. So many times in the past when I was training, I'd give into that voice in my head that tells me to stop or slow down. Not this time. That little voice is still there, but all I have to do is ask myself, "Am I going to stop or slow down in the marathon? NO! Push through it and come out stronger in the end!" I've had some amazing tempo runs because of this and will still strive to push through as my tempo distance increases over the upcoming weeks.




2. Speaking of "pushing through"...pain, fatigue and I have grown well acquainted over the last 9 weeks.  The whole idea of Hanson's is to go into my long runs with fatigued, tired legs as to simulate the last miles of the marathon and not the first. I've noticed my tolerance to pain has gotten so much better and I'm feeling stronger physically and mentally because of it.  I did have a moment of weakness during a 12 mile run where I stopped at mile 8 feeling exhausted and defeated from that weeks training. I was pretty much crying by myself in the middle of nowhere, looking up at the sky and asking God why was I doing this every day? Why was I putting myself through all this when I could be at home with my family? What if I'm doing all of this for nothing? Qualifying for Boston is out of my league, I'm not that kind of runner. After a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I got my act together quickly and remembered how blessed I was to even have an opportunity to train like this. To breathe and see the world like no one else can. I finished that 12 mile run and haven't questioned myself since.




3. I have learned to LOVE the track. The workouts are hard as hell but seeing my times improve and my overall strength increase have started my love affair with the oval office. Like the saying goes, "Runners know that running in circles doesn't always mean finishing where we started."



As I look forward to the final 9 weeks of training and as my marathon approaches closer and closer, I'm going to continue to give it my all and push myself to levels I never knew existed.  Yes, it sucks getting up at 4-5AM, lacing up my shoes and leaving my husband and daughter as they sleep in their beds, but I know in my heart it will be worth it. No one has to understand it as long as I do. I return home a stronger woman, a better mother and wife for my family.



I want to also add that I am ready to forgive myself if I fall short of my goal. I'm not going to focus on that too much right now because I'm going to remain positive, but the reality is something out of my control could happen in the upcoming weeks or on race day. The desire to be the best runner that I can possibly be will always be there and that alone will be enough for me to never stop trying, no matter how long it takes me to BQ. Like I've said before, running is engrained into every fiber of my being. I was born to do this and I'll never give up.

 



11 comments:

  1. Seriously...your training is going awesome and you are SO on track to get that BQ!!!! Your attitude is so very very awesome too!!!! Having that goal and working hard for it is a great way to train, but there is always the possibility of the unexpected when it comes to a race as long as the marathon...whether you get that BQ or not, no training that you have done has been done in vain! Every run makes you stronger, tougher and just better no matter what the time clock says!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer you are going to do so well in this marathon! I know that a BQ is certainly in your sights, and I believe you can do it; no matter what happens, though, because we all know crazy things can happen on any given race day, it sounds like you have learned and accomplished SO much during this training cycle and you have a lot to be proud of. I'm excited for you and I appreciate your constant motivation and support! YOU GOT THIS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate all of your kindness and support through all of this :)

      Delete
  3. i wish i could get into running. i am a bikini and figure competitor and my heart is with lifting weights. the least favorite part of my workout is cardio. i wish i knew what this runners high felt like! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, lol! That runners high doesn't happen too often, but I bet you lift for the same reason I run. The feeling after! Keep doing what you're doing, because you're awesome :)

      Delete
  4. WOW!!! Words can't express how proud I am of you Jen!!! I inspire me so much ... the student has become the teacher. I look to you for 26.2 wisdom now and following your training so as to know how to tackle 26.2 when I decide to run it again. The Hanson's method is truly awesome!! I switched to there approach about two years ago and my running went to another level I'm glad you are using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lee, that means a lot to me. The plan is amazing! And fyi YOU inspire ME!!

      Delete
  5. Ummmm that should be YOU inspire me so much haha lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl. Question....I'm on week 11 of Hansons. I know we've chatted some on IG about it and I'm just now checkin in with your blog. Have you stuck to the full weekly mileage? I'm hitting all the workouts and am still short every week by just a but. I'm not doing the recommended 1-3 mile warm up and cool downs. I'll do a mile warm up and that's it mainly to save time. Did you find that happening too? It's so much running already and taking so much time I'm finding myself just doing the run prescribed and moving on with my day. Just curious if this will hurt me. Thanks!! You are so close!!! Heal up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I came close to hitting the weekly mileage, but was coming up short. I did, however follow the 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. But I always still did come a little short. No worries, I don't think it will affect your training. If anything, it will be better for you. You don't want to end up injured like me, lol! Keep up the great work! :)

      Delete