blonde_bun_runner

blonde_bun_runner
"Head up, wings out"--Oiselle

Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chicago Lakefront 50K recap

What an experience!
 
 
 
My first ultra marathon was this last Saturday (April 5th) and it certainly goes down as my favorite race of all time.
 
Started off with waking up at 5AM and driving myself to the northside of Chicago at Foster Beach House along the lakefront. Beautiful sunshine and a brisk 35 degrees at start time. I actually felt super calm and really wasn't nervous about this, I think because the only goals I had were to have fun, stay injury free, and JUST FINISH.
 

The second I pinned my bib to my shirt, I was like "omg, I am running a freakin Ultra"

I met up with my IG friend Steph(runtrimom)who looked super cute in her bright, colorful running outfit. Before we knew it, we were off and running.






The miles just flew by as we admired the beautiful lakefront scenery and talked about life in general. We stopped for a few minutes at each aide station to refuel or stretch and for the first 15 miles, I was in heaven and feeling fresh and running effortlessly. We ran into a few of Steph's friends along the way, including her 84 year old coach who inspired me like crazy!  I was debating on whether or not to stick with her the whole time because I wasn't exactly sure on how my IT band would hold up, but the pace she was running felt right to me with the distance I was going. So at about mile 17 I decided to stick it out with her and finish together.


And I'm SO glad I did. Running with her really helped push me, especially the last few miles. Liz(fitandfab4life) ran the last 10 miles with us, which was awesome too. I kept repeating to myself "embrace the suck" "I've got this" Pretty much every fiber in my legs were hurting, but I pushed as I envisioned that finish line in my mind. I thought about my 3 year old daughter and husband too. I thought about all the amazing support from my Instagram friends.  These are the things that got me through.

We crossed the finish line 31 miles later, our hands together and held high over our heads tears streaming down our faces.  We had done it. We had just become ultra marathoners. I gave her the biggest hug crying like a baby.  I never had imagined I'd be a marathoner, let alone an ULTRA marathoner.  I faced my fears and conquered them head on. After running the Chicago Marathon last October and ending up injured, I started to question whether or not I could be a long distance runner.  But this finish proved to me that I could. I could go the distance....and I'll never look back.  I'm looking forward to more marathons, hopefully a Boston Qualifying one, and maybe some more ultras in there too :) 


Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/tseliot161678.html#lbihmdIdP755wtIX.99
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/tseliot161678.html#lbihmdIdP755wtIX.99


ONLY THOSE WHO WILL RISK GOING TOO FAR CAN POSSIBLY FIND OUT HOW FAR ONE CAN GO

 


9 comments:

  1. From runner, to marathoner, to ultra-runner, you continue to amaze!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee from IG?! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
    2. Yep! This is Lee from IG well, formerly IG I deleted my accoun. I just have Pinterest (LeeRunsDistance) and my blog now.

      Delete
    3. Aw yeah, I miss you on IG but now I can follow you here. I added your blog to my list here :)

      Delete
  2. Sweet! I've been checking your IG page on ocassion to see how you have been progressing. Now I can follow you here. All I can say is that you've been doing some EPIC stuff since your marathon debut Jen!! Happy say I know ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, I sent you a note when I meant to comment! :) Whoops! You inspire me all day everyday girl, keep this amazingness up! Happy you're a blogger! It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much!! I'm starting to get the hang of this blogging thing...it's actually a lot of fun :)

      Delete
  4. You are so inspiring! I knew you would rock the ultra. Way to go lady!!!

    ReplyDelete